If you get regular prescriptions, the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) may be able to save you time by avoiding unnecessary trips to your GP.

EPS makes it possible for your prescriptions to be sent electronically to the pharmacy or dispenser of your choice.

Choosing a pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor to process your EPS prescription is called nomination.

This means you'll no longer have to collect a paper repeat prescription from your GP practice – instead, you can go straight to the nominated pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor to pick up your medicines or medical appliances.

Because your pharmacist has already received your electronic prescription, they may be able to prepare your items in advance, so you just have to pick it up with no extra wait. However, this depends on the capacity of pharmacists on the day, and may not be possible all the time.

For more detailed information, download the EPS patient information leaflet (PDF, 52.8kb). Or watch What is EPS? on the EPS YouTube channel.

In the future, EPS will become the default option for the prescribing, dispensing and reimbursement of prescriptions in primary care in England. More information about this will be available soon.

How can I cancel the service?

You can always change or cancel your nomination. Simply speak to your GP pharmacist before you order your next prescription. Allow time for the update to take place to avoid your next prescription being sent to the wrong place.

Who can see my prescription?

EPS is reliable, secure and confidential. Your electronic prescription will be seen by the same people in GP practices, pharmacies, and NHS prescription payment and fraud agencies that see your paper prescription now.

They'll also be able to see whether you've nominated more than one dispenser and can check where your prescriptions will be sent to.

If you're on repeat prescriptions, dispensers will also see all of the items on your reorder slip.

What can I do if I'm unhappy with the nomination process?

All patients must be provided with sufficient information about EPS and give their consent before a nomination is recorded.

If you're unhappy with your experience of nomination, you can complain to the pharmacy, dispensing appliance contractor, or GP practice. Alternatively, you can also complain to your local clinical commissioning group (CCG).

This article is an adapted version of an NHS Choices article which can be found here

Did this answer your question?